California is an at-will employment state.
That means that, as a general rule, employers have the right to hire and fire workers at any time and for any reason.
But, there are limitations to an employer’s discretion: companies cannot discharge workers for an unlawful reason.
As an example, the California Fair Housing and Employment Act (FEHA) prohibits covered employers from making hiring and firing decisions on a discriminatory basis.
If you were terminated for an unlawful reason or in breach of an employment contract, you may be entitled to recover wages and other damages through a wrongful termination claim.
At Workplace Rights Law Group LLP, our skilled Los Angeles wrongful termination attorneys want to make sure that you have the information and tools you need to protect your best interests.
Here, we provide an overview of wrongful termination damages in California.
Wrongful Termination Damages
If your workplace rights were violated, you deserve justice. Through the filing of a wrongful termination lawsuit, plaintiffs (employees) may be able to recover different types of damages such as:
- Economic Damages: As a starting point, wrongfully terminated workers can recover their lost wages and other employment benefits. This includes “back pay” – lost wages for the period between your termination date and the time your case is resolved. It also can include “front pay” – lost wages for some period in the future that you will be unemployed. Notably, plaintiff has a duty to mitigate their damages, which means that you have to look for work after your termination.
- Non Economic (Intangible) Damages: Next, plaintiff may also be eligible to recover financial compensation for non-economic or intangible losses. This could include financial compensation for emotional distress and for any damage that was caused to one’s professional reputation. Recovering compensation for intangible damages is typically more challenging. As such, it is crucial that employees are represented by an experienced Los Angeles wrongful termination lawyer.
- Punitive Damages: Finally, in especially egregious circumstances, punitive damages may be available. As described by the Cornell Law School Legal Information Institute, punitive damages are designed to punish the grossly negligent or despicable conduct of the defendant. Their purpose is to punish the bad-acting employer and to discourage other companies from engaging in similar unlawful conduct in the future. If you were wrongfully fired under highly egregious circumstances, it is imperative that you discuss wrongful termination punitive damages with an experienced employment attorney.
How Our Los Angeles Wrongful Termination Attorneys Can Help
Recovering full and fair financial compensation for wrongful termination requires bringing a persuasive and effective legal case.
Before considering damages, you must establish liability — to prevail in a wrongful termination claim, an employee must be able to prove that they were fired unlawfully or in breach of their contract.
It is important to remember that an ‘unfair’ removal is not necessarily an ‘illegal’ removal. Your wrongful termination attorney will help you build a winning legal case that establishes the unlawful nature of your firing or discharge.
At Workplace Rights Law Group LLP, our Los Angeles employment lawyers have the skills and experience needed to help you recover the maximum compensation for wrongful termination in California. We are prepared to:
Conduct a free, confidential review of your wrongful termination case;
- Answer your questions and explain your legal options to you;
- Gather all relevant evidence to establish the wrongful termination;
- Gather all relevant evidence to prove the value of your damages;
- Negotiate with the employer or their insurance company; and
- Prepare for trial.
We have a proven record of success in handling a wide range of employment law claims in Southern California. In many cases, wrongful termination claims can be settled outside of litigation or before trial.
If your employer is willing to offer a settlement that includes compensation for your wrongful termination damages, this can be the ideal result.
At the same time, our Los Angeles employment lawyers are always prepared for trial. We are ready to take your case to court to protect your rights and interests.
Speak to Our Los Angeles Wrongful Termination Lawyer Right Away
At Workplace Rights Law Group LLP, we offer passionate advocacy to workers in Southern California. If you believe that you or your loved one was wrongfully terminated by your employer, our legal team will protect your rights.
You deserve justice and full and fair wrongful termination damages. To get a free, fully confidential review of your case, please do not hesitate to contact us today.